2008. augusztus 11., hétfő

Pogacsa with pork rind (Tepertos pogacsa)

I have to admit I thought pogacsa was genuinly hungarian. As I browsed the internet i found out just the opposite. Anyway, this version is so-so hungarian that almost every hungarian fables and folk stories include it. Usually this is the bread the youngest son of the tales takes with him for his journey. It used to be baked in hot ashes and packed in a kitchen towel.

My father in law just turned to 60 this weekend. I was about to bake him Pierre Herme's lemon tart. As we talked, he mentioned that no pastry or cake can compete with this traditonal pogacsa. So i gave in and made them. They need little work but lots of time (as puff pastry) but they worth!Ingredients:
500 g all-purpose flour
30 g fresh yeast or 7 g instant yeast
200-300 g buttermilk or yoghurt (or half yoghurt half sour cream)
salt and freshly ground pepper
300-350 g pork rind
2 eggs

1. First put the pork skins in a blender and mix until creamy. Stir in one teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste.
2. Mixt the buttermilk and yeast, stir in one egg (slightly beaten) and a teaspoon of salt. Add spoonfuls of four and mix, antil the dough forms a ball. Sprinke flour on the counter, transfer the dough to the counter, and knead. Add more buttermilk or flour as needed to form the dough into a soft, but not sticky, ball. Knead approximately 4 minutes. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
3.Roll out the dough with a rolling pin into a rectangle. Spread the pork rind cream evenly on the top, then fold it like a business letter: Fold the bottom third of the dough over the middle third, then fold the top third over so it meets the edge of the folded dough. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
4.Repeat this folding 5 times in 30 minutes intervals.


5.After the last folding, roll the dough into 1 inch thick. Score the top with a sharp knife like this:
6. With a round cutter (2 inch in diameter) cut the dough, and put the pogacsas on a baking parchment. As the grow in the oven put then 3 inches apart. Beat an egg and brsh the top of the pogacsas with it.

7. Preheat oven to 220 celsius degree and bake them until dark golden.
They are best served while warm.

14 megjegyzés:

Jen írta...

Wow! this looks delicious and so flakey! pork rind isn't something easily accessible where I am -- could I use something like bacon instead? or do you have any ideas for substitutions?

Thanks! -Jen (Modern Beet)

eatingclubvancouver_js írta...

Pork rind in bread? You've got me sold on this!

Millie írta...

Jc!
Where do you live?
Can you get pork skin with some (actually lot of) fat on it? If you can, just cut them in cubes and fry them in a heavy skillet on low heat. The fat will melt, the cubes will shrink, the whole thing will be crispy and golden yellow when it is done. And you will have a lot of fat also, to start a nice goulash with.
If you don't get pork skin, get a fat goose or duck, trim and fry the fat (with skin on) similarly to get poultry "teperto".
I do not suggest bacon in this recipe, unless you can get the one without meat in it. In Hungary we have that type which contains only fat. It is smoked also.
But the easiest thing would be to look for a hungarian shop (or any eastern european would probably also do) and ask for it.
If you have any question do not hesitate to ask!
Millie

Brilynn írta...

I've never seen this before, it looks awesome!

crunchLin írta...

wow those look wonderful! && oh so flakey! i must give these a try!!! thanks for sharing!

una donna dolce írta...

Wow - these look great. My great-grandparents were stowaways on a boat traveling from Hungary to New York. I know very little about them so I'm always happy to find Hungarian recipes, since I feel a little closer to my heritage!

Millie írta...

Thanks a lot for your encouragement! Una donne dolce,
This is my first english post (i am writing a food blog in hungarian) but i will post hungarian foods in english in the future. Stay tuned!

Jen írta...

Thanks for answering my question. I'm located in northern california, USA. I spent some time looking around, and found an eastern European market that has pork skin -- looks like I'll be making this soon! To be totally clear, I fry the cubes, then puree it?

-Jen (Modern Beet)

Millie írta...

Jc,
If you can get pork skin (which is already cooked crunchy and golden) you only need to pure it. If it is fresh, then fry them as i told you first.
Good luck and let me know!
Millie

Rosa's Yummy Yums írta...

They look marvelous and extremely scrumptious! A little similar to one of our Swiss specialities called "Taillés Au Grebons"...

Cheers,

Rosa

Névtelen írta...
Ezt a megjegyzést eltávolította a blog adminisztrátora.
Susanne írta...

Found you through a few links. Oh my word. My mom used to make these all the time when I was a kid. I love, love, love them. Now I want them! :v)

Sarah Szekely írta...

Thank you so much, I have been looking for a recipe in English that is authentic.

If anyone is interested in seeing a photograph of ground tepertő send me an email - szekely.photographs@gmail.com

Traveling Kat írta...

Kipróbáltam, nagyon jó lett. Köszönöm!